I’ve been testing out the fantastic Canary home security system for 3 weeks now and thought it was about time I shared my review .. This snazzy little device not only shows real-time footage of what’s happening in your home, it records short snippets of any activity detected whilst you’re out, so you can keep an eye on any pets whilst you’re out, or for peace of mind whilst you’re on holiday or working away. It even monitors your ‘home health’ looking at things like temperature, humidity and air quality.
Anyway… back to my review 🙂 The first thing I noticed when opening up the box was just how small and discreet the system was .. a thumbs up from me as I live in a flat and so didn’t want something too big or intrusive.
Next step after unboxing was to download the free app to my iPhone ready to connect to the device once I’d set it up..
Then it was time to set up the Canary device – this part was super simple. There’s a power lead you connect and plug in, switch it on with the power button and then pair the device with the app on your smart phone. The app is really easy to use and had found my Canary device in seconds. I told it which room my Canary device was placed in and set up a very short profile and I was away.
I found a discreet place in my front room which gave a good camera view of the room and adjoining kitchen and I’m pleased to say that it blended right in – in fact when friends visited and I told them about it they genuinely hadn’t noticed it – or thought it was a small speaker …so any intruders are sure to be fooled!
For me this is probably the best bit about the device, the fact that it isn’t ugly or obvious… in fact it’s pretty slick looking.
Next step was opening the app where the I was given the option to ‘watch live’ what the camera is viewing, as I was sat in the same room as the Canary that was both funny and unnerving as I could see myself clear as day. That was my first thought – how clear the picture was – the detail was fantastic and showed a clear and crisp picture right through to my kitchen. No mean feat as it’s a very long room.
I left it recording whilst I popped out for the afternoon and whilst I was out and about I got a few alerts on the phone to say that it had detected activity – this was a little scary at first but also reassuring – however, when I checked out the culprit it was a fly that had gotten to close to the device! This gives you some idea just how sensitive the Canary is! Had it have been an intruder I spied then I can also sound a very loud alarm from my phone – I loved this feature!
It continued to record these short snippets and display them on a timeline even when I was back in the house too. It knew I was home as the Canary is linked to my phone and it displays this info with ‘Nikki arrived at home’.
I was amazed that it recorded a phone call I took! What I was surprised by though was the sound it recorded – SO CLEAR! (This would make a great spying device too ha ha)
It was reassuring to know that the ‘Home health’ didn’t detect anything out of the ordinary too – just a little extra handy and useful feature I wasn’t expecting which allows you to be notified if the temperature, humidity or air quality are out of range!
3 weeks of living with the Canary and I can honestly say it’s blended right in. I love the peace of mind it gives me when I’ve been working away from home – and given me a few giggles with the footage it’s captured 🙂 (I can’t say too much on that one …but let’s just say the night vision feature is NOT flattering! ha ha)
I think this provides a great solution for those with pets they have to leave alone for the day, people who work away a lot or just those who want a cost effective way of keeping an eye of their home!
For more information see the official site
Below is the overview from Canary on what the system does:
– Security in seconds: There’s no installation. Set Canary on a shelf or table, connect to the internet, and you’re done. All systems go.- Power in your hands: Stop a burglar with the tap of your finger. Use the Canary app to sound the built-in 90 decibel siren or connect directly to your local emergency services for immediate response. With Canary, you’re in control.
– Smarter by the minute: Canary is always learning and adapting. It adjusts to your preferences, knows if you’re around — auto-arming if you’re not, and understands the difference between ordinary and unusual activity in your home. Smart is beautiful.
– Clear as day, even at night: Canary records remarkably crisp, 1080p HD video and audio with automatic night vision and a wide-angle lens. The viewing radius ensures your living room, nursery, kitchen or basement is entirely visible with vivid clarity.
– Pulling info from thin air: Canary monitors air quality, temperature, and humidity to help you understand how your home might affect your health. Breathe easy.
– Works on Wi-Fi or Ethernet: Canary doesn’t rely on extra hubs or wiring. No clutter, no tangles, no hassles. Connect to Wi-Fi, or simply plug in with Ethernet and Canary is good to go.
1080p HD Camera
Field of View
147° wide-angle lens
High-quality automatic night vision
90+ dB siren
100-240v power supply
2.4GHz Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
Security & Data Protection
Encrypted cloud storage
Secure web transfer (SSL-TSS)
AES 256-bit data encryption
Comes with a 1-year limited warranty (Valid only for Canary products purchased by end users from Canary and its authorized resellers.)